The Gateway Metal Detecting Club came into existence informally in October of 2015. The first formal meeting of the club was held on January 5, 2016, when officers were nominated, the club name voted upon, and by-laws drawn up. The officers and by-laws were officially voted in at the February 2, 2016 meeting.
The name of this organization shall be the Gateway Metal Detecting Club (Gateway MDC or GMDC).
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The purpose of this organization shall be to
1. Promote the education of detectorists in the hobby of metal detecting.
2. Promote responsible metal detecting through reviews of laws and regulations.
3. Promote environmental protection through responsible detecting practices, recycling, and trash removal at hunt sites.
4. Promote enjoyment of the metal detecting hobby.
5. Promote safety in the pursuance of metal detecting.
1. Any person may join the organization as a member. Children between the ages of 12-17 may join with a parent or legal guardian in attendance, who themselves do not have to become a member. If under the age of 12, children will be welcomed free with parental supervision, but shall not be considered a member and shall not be able to vote on club matters. Children 17 and under must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all club-sponsored activities.
2. Only registered, paid-up members 18 or older may hold office and vote on organizational matters.
MEMBERSHIP DUES: Membership dues are $20/yr, with additional household family members $15. Children 11 and under are free. Membership dues shall be as follows: If joining from Jan-Jun, dues are $20/$15. If joining from Jul-Dec, dues are $10/$5. Membership renewals shall be considered as of January of the current year.
EVENTS AND MEETINGS:
1. The organization shall meet once a month, except January. A club hunt shall be held monthly from March through November, pending weather conditions or specific club activities.
2. Meetings shall be on the first Tuesday of each month from 7-9pm on the grounds of the Missouri Civil War Museum, 222 Worth Rd, St. Louis, MO, 63125 at the next door 1918 Exchange Building.
Only elected officers may access and spend the organization’s funds.
Failure of any officer to uphold the duties of their office shall be grounds for removal from office.
An officer may be removed from office by a unanimous vote of the other officers.
The organization shall have four officers:
–The president shall
A. Maintain oversight of all workings of the organization.
B. Be the official spokesperson of the organization.
C. Direct all monthly meetings.
D. Pursue permission, if necessary, to hunt sites for organizational activities.
E. Keep order and direct all voting procedure at the monthly meeting.
F. Coordinate calls for the Community Assistance Team (CAT).
G. Maintain the club email and answer all queries in a timely manner.
H. Maintain the club website.
I. Maintain oversight of the newsletter.
J. Personally abide by and adhere to the articles in the STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
–The vice-president shall
A. Maintain oversight of the club meeting and make sure proceedings stay on time.
B. Maintain oversight of the Finds of the Month (FOM) contest.
C. Record all nominations for office, and tally final votes.
D. Keep the projector, cords, and instructions, and make sure there is a compatible laptop.
E. Maintain oversight of the club family day BBQ.
F. Personally abide by and adhere to the articles in the STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
–The treasurer shall
A. Maintain oversight of and handle all monetary transactions such as, but not confined to, membership dues, raffle and 50/50 contests, hunt fees, equipment purchase, organizational expenses such as business cards, ink cartridges, paper etc., and any other expenses which occur in the normal running of the organization.
B. Ensure that all receipts are kept in a timely and legal manner for tax purposes.
C. Ensure the organization has sufficient funds to facilitate the paying of bills.
D. Maintain a database or spreadsheet listing all income and expenditures.
E. Personally abide by and adhere to the articles in the STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
–The secretary shall
A. Be responsible for keeping the membership roster up-to-date with members’ correct personal information, status of membership (active/lapsed), and status of membership dues (received/not received).
B. Keep minutes of the monthly meeting, write them up for the monthly newsletter, and read them at the following meeting.
C. Maintain oversight of all paper files of club business.
D. Maintain all databases and files such as, but not confined to, meeting topics, presentations, newsletter articles, membership forms etc.
E. Send out thank you notes, sympathy cards, and other club correspondence.
F. Maintain the newsletter, with assistance from all other officers.
G. Print attendance sheets for both club meetings and club hunts.
H. Personally abide by and adhere to the articles in the STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
CRITERIA FOR HOLDING OFFICE:
All individuals holding office must be registered, paid-up members 18 and older and be elected by a 2/3 majority vote of the registered, paid-up membership.
A. Members of the organization shall be nominated at the October meeting and by nominations submitted through the organization’s website until October 31th.
B. Nominated members of the organization shall be voted on at the November meeting and by votes submitted through the organization’s website until November 30th. Results will be announced at the Christmas party in December.
C. In the case of a resignation of an officer during their term, a special election may be held to fill the office until the next election.
D. All officers hold their position for two years.
E. The offices of president/treasurer, and that of vice-president/secretary shall be voted on in alternating years to maintain continuity between elections.
No officer may hold office in the GMDC while also holding office in any other metal detecting club. This is to ensure that club passwords, personal information of GMDC members, and internal operations of the GMDC are protected. If it becomes known that a current officer of the GMDC is also a current officer in any other metal detecting club, that officer will be asked to terminate either their office in the GMDC or in that of the other metal detecting club. Failure to do so will be grounds for dismissal from office in the GMDC.
COMMUNICATIONS WITH MEDIA OR IN SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Only the president is authorized to speak on behalf of this organization to the media.
- If a member develops a website, writes a blog, or creates a video channel such as, but not confined to, YouTube, Twitter etc., which mentions this organization, said member must identify that they are a member of this organization and that the views expressed on the website, blog, or video channel are the member’s alone and do not represent the views of this organization.
- No member may share information that is confidential and proprietary about this organization. This includes, but is not limited to, organization finances, personal information of members, organization strategy, sales of products, or any other information that has not been publicly released by the organization.
- No member may film and/or sell this organization’s training classes, organization products which include, but are not limited to, shirts, business cards, or organizational written articles, without consensus of prior authorization from all elected officers.
Any member who refuses to follow this organization’s code of ethics, by-laws, or statement of purpose shall, by consensus of 3 of the 4 officers, be barred from any further organizational participation, and his membership shall be rescinded immediately.
When the organization has been granted special hunting privileges on private property, wherein the owner has stated that they wish to review and possibly keep any finds made, no member shall keep any find, no matter its worth, unless the owner gives permission. Intentionally secreting any find from that location without the owner’s knowledge will result in the immediate expulsion of the member and could result in legal action.